Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Empty House + Owen Out of Town = New Dog



The house was WAY too empty without Tally, and Owen left to go out of town for work.  I tried to bring in a border collie, but they spent all their time trying to get outside to go back to work with the horses.  They're just not meant to be indoor dogs.  So just before Owen left we went to an animal rescue in Windsor and found Nase.  They were calling him an Airdale mix, but after meeting him and having him for about a week I think he's a pointer/terrier mix.  He's gaited, so moves both right legs and then both left legs, making him very light on his feet and quiet when he walks, as opposed to Tally's hearty stomping around the kitchen.  He has long whiskers and shaggy lips and eyebrows as well that make us think terrier.  He's too slightly built to have much lab in him even though he's black, but his conformation is a lot like Molly, my Shorthaired Pointer.  He also likes to point at the birds when they land on fence posts.  He loves to go for walks around in the pastures with the other dogs (Miles & Belle the working border collies, and Newman, the neighbor's corgi who basically lives here) but mostly he loves to nap.  I've never had a slow dog before, and I'm not sure what to do with this champion couch potato.  All he wants is a romp outside in the morning, and the rest of the day he likes to sleep on the floor next to my side of the bed.  He will sample a chew toy now and then (still learning which house items are dog toys and which are human items).  He lived all his life in shelters, is 1.5 years old, and will be about 50 lbs once I get some groceries into him.  New things are a little scary, like the microwave, horses, our shorty friend Newman, carpet, the washing machine and dryer...  He seems pretty happy to be here so far, and dispenses whiskery kisses anytime.  An interesting aside, the shelter was calling him "Fred", but we changed it to Nase because I dated a guy named Fred in high school and it just didn't seem right to tell Owen in the evening that I spent my rainy day snuggling with "Fred".

No comments: