
For those of you who remember my post this time about a year ago - the marsh has frozen over once more and I woke up this morning to our pasture hosting a herd of the neighbor's cattle. 5 out of the 7 horses living here were in an uproar because of the close proximity of the horse-eating machines masquerading as herbivores. I did my best to quiet the horses (served breakfast) and then proceeded in 30 mph winds to escort the cattle off our property. This should have been significantly easier this year, because I have a 7 month old border collie (Miles) to assist me by lurking 50 yards behind me and growling menacingly at the cattle. Once in a while he would try to bite the whip I was carrying. He did not chase, herd, corral, or in any other way tell the cattle they ought not to be eating my pasture. So much for the herding dog and large game. At least he shows the same deferential respect to my horses. On the other hand, I did have a good bit more assistance from Tally, the new dog living in the barn with Miles. She's a 2 year old hound-mix who arrived from the humane society this Christmas, approximately 20 lbs of menacing vocal talent. She expertly ran semi-circles around me and the cattle and then with an almighty bay sent the cattle to the far side of their own farm. Not bad for a little hound. I've given up on frozen marsh fencing repairs - we'll just give the cattle the "go on, git" for the next few mornings until the marsh melts and the fence pops up again.
1 comment:
Sounds like Tally will be a useful dog. Maybe Miles will learn a thing or two from her!
Post a Comment