
This is Z, the barn cat we inherited with the house. She is the only cat I've ever had that tries to communicate with me. Owen laughs, but it's true. She'll tell you if Russet is getting into trouble, if she's frustrated with you, and that we really need to get rid of the dogs because they are a safety hazard. She looks a lot like Marbles, a calico cat I grew up with.


This is Russet, my mouser. Last summer he was a feral kitten the neighbors had seen trying to take down adult rabbits. They said, "if you can catch him, you can have him", so I went with a friend, her daughter, and a package of deli ham to the neighbor's. The kittens were sleeping on the porch, so I knelt down, and woke them up by tossing a slice of ham onto them. "Oooh, ham from HEAVEN!" they thought. I proceeded to toss little slices closer and closer in a trail to where I was kneeling, and the kittens all followed the trail right up to my knees. Russet was the first one to get close to me, and I scruffed him, put him in a plastic box, and took him home. He lived in a giant dog crate in the shop until he was old enough to be neutered, after which he was able to go out and play. While in the crate the only time he got to come out was when I was feeding him or loving on him. Now he's my "dog cat" because he comes when I call him, is crate trained (so goes in his crate on command for meals like a dog), lets me play with his paws and brush his teeth.

He was getting tired of all the pictures.

And so decided to take a nap on my leg.
1 comment:
Thats pretty good. A cat that acts like a dog. Maybe Peyton could talk Scott into something like that? Probably not, still looks like a cat, and he has found out lately that he is allergic to cats.
We miss you guys, and hope all is going well. Peyton asks for you every so often. She wants to know where you are, where your horses are, then she tells us that you got hurt. She is so smart and remembers everything.
Post a Comment