Sunday, January 20, 2013

Weekend at Bit of Honey

This weekend I took 3 client horses to a cattle sorting on Sat.  None of them had ever been to anything like it before.  Two 12 year old mares and a 3 year old gelding.  There was a HUGE group there.  I was expecting maybe a dozen people, but when we pulled in, a half hour EARLY, there were already about 50 horses there.  All told I'm sure there were about 80-90 horses.  My horses got to ride in absolute bedlam in the warm-up arena, and then stand in a standing-room-only arena to watch other groups go into the small pens with the cattle while the riders whooped, hollered, and cows ran and smashed into fencing.  It was an experience. 

After watching me haul 3 horses to something fun yesterday (he didn't know it involved cows), Cecil was feeling neglected and desperate to come out and play. I have never met a horse that loved traveling as much as he does.  Instead of eating his own grain, he opened his gate and ran straight for the arena while I was feeding Major. So I joined Cecil in the arena and we did some liberty work (no halter or rope). Free lunging to warm up, a little passage, tempo work over ground poles, and jumping 2' as I point to the designated fence. He refuses to let me forget that HE is my main squeeze. Love my Cecil. Frank also watched closely, as he is beginning HIS liberty work and Cecil was giving a 5 star demonstration.  I need to get these things on video.

No comments: