Monday, May 28, 2012

2012 Bolder Boulder 10k

*** more photos ***  http://www2.brightroom.com/email/97705/CC263/135052694

Well, I ran the Bolder Boulder 10k today.  It is the second largest 10k in the nation with 50,000-60,000 people running in it every year.  When I registered for it, I used a previous 5k I ran to enter a qualified wave.  The start of the race is organized in waves so that people with similar speeds run together.  I set a goal for finishing in 50 minutes.  While I was training, I started running around the block, which is 6.4 miles.  I was immediately beating my goal, so I changed it to 48 minutes.  The next week, I was beating that goal.  So, I finally decided on a goal of 46:30 which is a 7:30 minute/mile pace.  In training, I was running 7:40 fairly consistently, but I still had doubts about whether I could sustain 7:30 for 6.2 miles.  Well, I did it!  I beat my goal.  I ran it in 46:07.75 (official time) which is a 7:26 pace!

Until today, I had never run the Bolder Boulder, so I didn't know how hilly it was.  There is a video of the course that I watched multiple times, and the elevation map of the course make it look pretty hilly.  I was worried I didn't have enough hill workouts to prepare.  It turns out, I did.  The loop around the block has harder hills and more of them.  I felt good the whole race.  The last quarter of a mile goes up a steep hill into the stadium, and that was a tough hill.  I pushed hard because I knew the end was near.


Here I am after the race - yes I was as tired as I looked.

I went down with a friend.  He ran in a later wave, so I was able to cheer for him as he came running into the stadium.  He also met his goal by a few seconds.  We then stayed to watch the International Competition.  Several different countries for teams of 3 runners and then they see who does the best.  They are fast!  The top men finished in about 30 minutes, and the top women finished in about 33 minutes.  It was fun to see how fast they are and how graceful most of them look.  They don't look like they're working that hard, but they're running 5 minute miles or faster!  We then had the ceremony to celebrate our veterans and current military personnel and a couple of fighter jets flew over the stadium (very loud!).  It was a fun day, but now I'm pooped!

Here are my final results http://bolderboulder2012.onlineraceresults.com/individual.php?bib=CC263.  You can also watch me down the final stretch in this video http://www.thedenverchannel.com/video/31122954/index.html at 0:05 (smack dab in the center - blue shirt) 4:43 (top right corner), and 4:59 middle right.  And Waldo makes an appearance at the 7 minute mark.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Great job, Owen!! We watched the video. Thanks for sending the email to let us know.

Holly said...

Awesome Job, Owen. I am glad you had a good time and got all 3 shirts.