Friday, June 4, 2010

Crazy Owen

I worked from home yesterday and decided that I would go on a bike ride during lunch. Holly and I plan on biking up Snowbird when we go in August, so I need to get some training in. Holly and I had done a 15 mile ride on Saturday in Soapstone Natural Area, so I figured I could go further on county roads since the terrain would be smoother. So, I planned out a 21 mile loop. I have an application on my phone that uses gps to track the route, and keep statistics like speed and elevation. I can then upload it to google maps and look at it in more detail. So, here it is. If you click on the end icon (the red one), you can get the statistics.

map

Addresses on the county roads here are actually quite informative. For the north county roads, divide your address by 1000 and it will tell you how far north you are from downtown Ft. Collins (Mountain St, if you want specifics). After I had gone about 15 miles, I started looking at the numbers on the mail boxes to gauge how much farther I had to go. Well, our address is 12245 and I saw a mailbox with 1800 on it. "What!", I thought. "I have 10.4 miles to go!" Turns out that mailbox was actually for a west address. A couple mailboxes further they were in the 6000s, which is what I was expecting.

Needless to say, when I got home I was pretty tired and my butt hurt from sitting in the saddle for so long. I'm not sure how people do it for over a hundred miles. My butt would be sore for weeks if I did that!

3 comments:

Holly said...

Good job. I can you loan you some fat for you butt so it doesn't get so soar! My friend told me about a way to get to the Cheyenne Rim Trail from the I-80. We should it try it Saturday, June 12.

Susan said...

Wow! Good goin', Owen.

Alexis said...

I can't type what Greta said about sitting on a bike the first time she did it. Let's just say my response was, "Most people say that they use their BOTTOM to sit." That's what I get for teaching them anatomically correct terms for their body parts.